4/20/2011

AND....the lights went out....

As I came to my senses I thought,"This is the part where prince charming comes in." But, as I opened my eyes, I only saw the old shop vendor with his wrinkles and crinkles. "Surely not him," are the words that came to mind.

Our trip started out as any other. The Nigerian shoe market was our destination. We got there and immediately Mae (One of my friends) found some gorgeous shoes. We were only there about 1 hour when the sun got to be too much for me. I needed something cold to wet my parched throat. As I looked around for signs of something, anything I saw a man selling soft drinks. Thinking this would be a good choice; I bought one and downed it immediately. Feeling refreshed we continued on our shoe quest.

Not more than 15 minutes later....I began to feel a bit nauseated and light-headed. My first reponse was the need to escape the suffocating heat. Doing what every girl knows to do, I called.........my mother. Relief was insight, or so I thought.....

I found my friends and told them of my plans to leave the market. We agreed that I would wait for them, as they were almost finished, too. While watching them try on hats, I began to get the distinct feeling that I was about to faint. Being the romantic that I am, I decided that nothing as exciting as fainting could possibly happen to me.

The next thing I remember....I was sprawled out in the middle of the walkway, hearing my name called out over me, "Hannah," "Hannah." Yes, it was Jaydie. Upon opening my eyes I saw the old shop keeper and not the Prince Charming I was hoping for! So much for my knight in shining armor.

Coming to my senses, I realized that Amber, Jaydie and Mae were moving me to a bench and out of the walkway. How dreadful of them to wake me.... I had been in such a deep and calming sleep, or so it seemed to me. But, reality was certain. I was back in the Nigerian Market. It was still 100 degrees. The sun was blistering and my head was throbbing!

At this point, the "dying yovo" had the attention of the whole market. As, I was sitting on the bench trying to figure out what had just happened, the sweet shop owner was running around franticly doing his best the make me comfortable.

My mother was on her way, but we knew the only way out of the market was to walk. At this point I was becoming a bit nauseated as well. My very brave friends, to whom I owe my very life, set out to get me out of there. Mae got on one side of me and Amber on the other. Jaydie walked behind carrying our bags and making sure we didn't trip.

It felt like the farther we walked through the market, the farther away the exit moved. There were a few points that I thought I wasn't going to make it. But, by the grace of God and with the help of Mae, Jaydie, and Amber, we made it through.

So, what have I learned through all of this?.....fainting is not the romatic excitement hollywood makes it out to be. Rather, it's a bit scary and painful!

Thank you everyone for your prayers. This is one of those stories that we now look back on and laugh at. lol

2 comments:

Dee said...

I'm so thankful that all is well, even if "Prince Charming" was not there this time. At least the "Prince of Peace" was. Maybe that's why you were in such a beautiful state of "rest." Love you!!!

Danan said...

I'm so glad you can look back on this experience with amusement. You're a brave one, my girl~<3

My Blogs..........